Hope Solo Tested Positive for Banned Substance Canrenone

Hope Solo Tested Positive for Banned Substance Canrenone 


Hope Solo, U.S. goalkeeper, is one of the highest-profile players on the roster, and has been the regular U.S. keeper for nearly six years.


Solo has accepted the USADA warning and is expected to play for the United States in the Olympic tournament, where as the Americans first match is July on 25 against France in Glasgow, Scotland.


"I took a medication prescribed by my personal doctor for premenstrual purposes that I did not know contained a diuretic," Solo said in a statement. "Once informed of this fact, I immediately cooperated with USADA and shared with them everything they needed to properly conclude that I made an honest mistake, and that the medication did not enhance my performance in any way."


"As someone who believes in clean sport, I am glad to have worked with USADA to resolve this matter and I look forward to representing my country at the 2012 Olympic Games in London," Solo said.


She is considered as one of the world's top keepers, she helped the Americans to a second-place finish in last year's World Cup; a penalty-kicks shootout loss to Japan denied Solo her first World Cup title.


She also is remembered for the contentious finish to the 2007 World Cup in China, when she helped the Americans reach the semifinals. But she was benched by then-coach Greg Ryan against Brazil for veteran Briana Scurry, a hero of the 1999 world champions.


Scurry was rusty, the United States was routed 4-0 and Solo famously criticized Ryan's move.


"It was the wrong decision, and I think anybody that knows anything about the game knows that," Solo said at the time. "There's no doubt in my mind I would have made those saves."

1 comment: